Contact Me

Email: kvspirits@gmail.com

Phone #: (201) 572-3830

Monday, December 9, 2013

Meeting Shelly 2010


I would try and explain to my mother my spiritual progression,but she really did not understand what I was talking about. As far as she was concerned the motto she lives by is do good to everyone while we are here in this part of the universe and see god in everyone. I can't even light a candle next to her taking part in so many fields of volunteer work. She helps people with their taxes in season, knits blankets for children in hospitals, teaches English as a second language, serves food to elders and delivers them as well, for those who are immobile,  from the plentiful garden which was my fathers ambition to grow and he did a great job. In such a small space many kinds of vegetables and fruits were grown. Tending to the garden of love she would take the harvest and give it where it was needed. Last but certainly not least, painting, which she took up in the year 2000 and perfected it with her art teacher Shelly.

Shelly was disabled but had such a passion for living from what I have heard from mom. She would, in spite of the disability, put forth time and effort in dressing properly and it showed. Because she was unable to drive someone had to pick her up at her residence and then again drop her off after closing her art studio. As my mother had no pressing obligations to fulfill she volunteered to serve her teacher and overtime was given full access to her house. Shelly was very financially well-off but chose to live with her only son and his wife. Her daughter-in-law was not too fond of her.

She was given a suite adjoining the house with separate fully operating utilities, a beautiful view of the horse stables, and lush green open space. A television hung from the wall and a special bed was designed solely for her. There was a machine specially made to assist her when she needed to be transferred from the bed to her wheelchair, private bathroom, kitchen, dining area, heated swimming pool, and an elevator if she wanted to join the rest of the family in the theater to watch movies. She occasionally got a taste of Indian food and would sometimes request for it to be less spicy the next time around. My mother continued cooking her favorites. When I went to see my mother she asks if I would come and meet her teacher. I am sure she must have mentioned me somewhere along the way so this way when I meet her shelly will be able to put a face to the words.

We finally arrived at her house, introduced each other, and made small talk to evaluate her situation. I am in no way an "expert" or have the authority to give advice since she was in her late 70's if not more. After an hour or so my mom asked if we should leave because she didn't have all that much strength. I nodded okay and she said that she would go and get the car or I could come out later. That caught me off guard as I didn't expect her to say anything like that. So I waited at the foot of Shelly's bed staring at her face without blinking. Shelly, who was all together in her thoughts, became very anxious and scared. "Who are you? What are you doing? Are you trying to save me?" she asked. I put my hand under the blanket and held on very tightly to her right toe and the space in between. The intensity of my gaze remained. Again the same voice asked "who are you?" The most profound statement followed and I replied "many people want to see me, but a very few get to see me and indeed you are blessed to see me." Just like that my hand automatically retracted and I released my grip on her toe. I thanked her for giving me the opportunity to get to know her.

A few months pass and I receive the news that she had officially merged with the divine. What a blessed soul. I have goose bumps as I am writing this with tears in my eyes that I had the pleasure of knowing a wonderful soul. 

Sai Ram.  

No comments:

Post a Comment