Contact Me

Email: kvspirits@gmail.com

Phone #: (201) 572-3830

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Who is a Mother?


                                                 Aum Sri Sai Ram 

Mother o Mother Sai Ma you mean the whole world to me Sai Ma.

Every mother is my mother that’s what I felt and my birth Mother’s words echoed in my heart. THINK OF ME WHEN YOU ARE SERVING OTHERS AND AUTOMATICALLY I Will BE WITH YOU.

I had the good fortune of being surrounded by families who I had grown up since the day we came to United States of America ( Flushing, New York) 1973. I had moved around from New York to New Jersey and continue to reside in the state.

One of the families who had moved to the same town and state live with a few miles from our house. I had a great deal of respect for family members as they were a great support to the community. Uncle had multiple interest and was always eager to help the families in building,decorating and experiences with audio. His wife kameshwari was a great music teacher. They had 3 children and after graduating moved about. The eldest daughter after getting married chose to live in Kerala with her husband. The middle daughter lives nearby to her parents. The youngest Son moved to Michigan. Amazing all of them chose journalism as their profession.


Uncle always kept himself busy with woodworking projects in and around the house. He also came up with innovative ways of making steps used for Navaratri festival and was highly demanded by customers from all over the states. Initially I didn’t have much time to engage with the family as I was always working 7 days a week for many years with business.

Once I retired had many opportunities to stop by frequently and talk with the family. I was very fond of both and always considered them equal to my parents. I would walk into the house and uncle will be in the garage and say Koushik why don’t you go inside and talk with your mother. . I would walk inside and give her a hug. The Indian woman aren’t open for affection at least from a grown man who was 63 years old. I was very comfortable with everything and every one.

Aunty was undergoing some health issues and was very open minded and had accepted her condition. Some years with the treatment she was getting better with positive outlook and hoping she would survive this temporary setback.

I had mentioned to uncle and aunty since my return from my health setback from the hospital on June 27 th of 2023 that would visit them more frequently depending upon my own health condition.

Every year they have a elaborate Navarathri festivities with a grand display of dolls. Last year I had the good opportunity to help set up the steps and helping with placement of the dolls. It’s a very time consuming and a great deal of thought has to be put in to pull off such a magnificent display of our tradition.

September I called and asked “ Amma can I come over to help set up the stairs? She replied this year I want to use my son in law and Grand son they are going to be in town. I said sure Amma.

The following week I was going to help another family friend and tripped and fell . Both my knees were swollen and unable to move or drive and couldn’t visit.

I got notification from the family Amma wasn’t keeping good health and was admitted in the hospital.

I didn’t want to be in the way of the family and offered my help in way possible. Uncle said Koushik I will definitely call you when I need you.

On October 22nd morning I got a message from uncle 

Koushik I didn’t want to start your morning with this message Amma doesn’t have much time left . The Doctors have given up . If you’re available please come over and pick me up I want to go to the hospital and see her for a few minutes and drop me back home.

I quickly got myself together  picked up a framed photo graph of Sathya Sai Baba and went to pick up uncle and drove him to the hospital. He was extremely particular about almost everything the side which I never got to see while growing up. He told me how to go( directions), which lane to use, where to turn and so forth.  I took this as a learning process to keep my mouth shut no matter what!!!.

We went and parked the car and entered the lobby. We approached the customer service and they wanted our license information to make a badge for each person.

The representative said “ Only when one badge is returned then only we can issue your badge to enter the hospital to visit the patient. Due to Amma’s condition only one person can stay with her and naturally the family members should be there with her at the last minute of her life.

Uncle son just whizzed past us during the registration process and told the customer service representative there’s no time please let my father see his wife.

She said “ Sorry Sir , this is the hospital policy and no exceptions “.

I told the son don’t argue with her. I will take your father to see his wife.

He said “ How”?

I said you watch me.

Again he said you can’t go past the security officer and the oncologist service desk and nurses.

Nothing is impossible when the lord is with you and I will prove it to you. Just wait for us to return.

I took uncle who’s in his 90’s and had absolutely no problem in getting past the security, nurses station. When we went in the room the daughter was surprised and said Amma is having labored breathing and all doctors and nurses have tried but unable to do anything anymore and left the room.

Uncle said Koushik give me a few minutes and after that you can go inside. I said absolutely no problem.

In a few minutes uncle came out and said you can go inside and say your final good bye to your mother. I said uncle please come inside. He said she’s having trouble breathing. I said uncle all these tubes are a big burden on her lungs once you disconnect she will be relieved and will feel much better.

I took Swami picture out of jacket pocket and applied Vibhuti on her forehead and said “ Amma look who has come to take you home? sSathya Sai  Baba has come and cupping my hand and placed on her chest and chanting Aum Sri Sai Ram 3 times and instantly her breathing patterns changed to a calm breath.




Naturally he didn’t want to take my answer as a word and kept on saying I don’t want her to be hungry. When the doctor came for the routine round said to the Nurses please disconnect all these tubes it’s a hindrance for her at this point. She is dying no need for all this. It was like my words just echoed in the Doctor’s mouth.

When we finally returned back to the lobby The father said we spent 4 hours with Amma. The son was totally shocked and said “ How is it possible “?

That evening I got a message from uncle around 10pm

“ KOUSHIK THANKS FOR YOUR PHYSICAL EFFORT BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY YOUR SPIRITUAL POWER “. 

His daughter was extremely surprised how in the world did he get her breathing to be calm and natural asked her father?

He replied…, I was in the room he took Sai baba’s picture and said Amma I have come to take you home and said he loved her over and over again. He also had his hands on her chest saying some mantra.

I had the privilege to take care of a mother in her last stage of life. 

The eldest daughter hadn’t arrived from India and the father wanted her to see the mother.  They were worried Amma wouldn’t live till her arrival. I assured the family members that Amma will be breathing till Lata arrives.

Lata was picked up from the airport directly to the hospital on Friday October 28. I had mentioned to the family as she is in her last breath it’s better to take her home so friends and family can pay their respect’s.

The family talked about it to the father and arranged a ambulance to bring her home. 

Uncle, Grand daughter of the daughter and myself returned home to get it ready for Amma’s arrival to see her Pooja room where she had spent so much time doing pooja’s.

Uncle was busy and the G daughter was doing things I was just sitting and conversion with the young lady .

She is a few years younger to my daughter . She recently had moved to Denmark. I was just curious about how her life was there ? and regarding food items

Just jokingly asked Do you have a boyfriend?

She said yes!!

I asked is he Indian?

She said  No

I said  his name is Philip and she didn’t know what to say!!

Said  How do you know his name?

Honey that’s the power of the lord.

Amma arrived in the ambulance and all family members were gathered to receive her. After she was made comfortable I approached uncle and said you don’t need me or my service anymore.


Uncle replied “ I don’t need you “ but keep coming to see your mother every day.

The daughter replied we will call you when to come.

I didn’t want to be in their way and let them decide .

Saturday morning October 29th around noon suddenly felt the urge to see her even though didn’t get any message from the daughter.

As I stepped inside the front entrance Amma took her last breath at 12:40pm.

LOVE IS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN US

DEAR LORD NO WORDS CAN EXPRESS MY GRATITUDE FOR GIVING ME A OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE A MOTHER EVEN THOUGH SHE DID

NOT GIVE BIRTH TO ME.

MOTHER is the one who always thinks of others first!!!

Sairam 













1 comment:

  1. Heart warming. Brought tears to eyes of a not v emotionsl person.
    Wish you had been there for my mother.

    ReplyDelete